Friday, November 20, 2015

Project implementation start

So the project in RIA-development course started this week. As per usual when it comes to projects the hardest part is always figuring out what the H to do. Coming up with a relevant, useful, interesting and meaningful application, that intrigues one to actually accomplish something and to learn instead of just turning in something mediocre that is sufficient to pass the course. This is becomes even more difficult when trying out a new language where one does not have a clue of best practices, structures, tools and development processes.

Now then, some self pity is out of the way, I managed to come up with an idea that I thought would be pretty useful and solid. Making a navigation component that runs with react router. A component that would allow one to simply include the component into ones app that uses React Router and it would generate and render navigation automatically with React Router Links and everything.

At first the idea was to use a json-config-file where one could write down a spec for the routing AND navigation and the component would do everything. Trying this out with a small example app I realized that actually implementing the navigation into apps would be hard. I changed approach to check if My component instead could read all the routes set up by the user and use that to render a navigation. That seems to work much better and it also gives the developer much more freedom when creating their apps.

So there it is, the application I'll be making for this project is a navigation component.

To make it a little more interesting I've started looking into how I can make it into a Node module, because that would be the best way to make is accessible for others to use. Making it as a module makes the process quite different from simply making an application that is running by it self. This weekend or maybe next week, I'll write a blog post explaining the process of developing a module, I need to get a little bit more comfortable and confident my self first.

No comments:

Post a Comment